Wednesday, March 23, 2011

DG Do Gooder: March 2011

Mu member Hannah Price (PC 08 and former VP of Member Education) is Mu Chapter's Way to Be a DG for the month of March! Read why she was chosen as our winner below...

"I had the opportunity to go on a mission trip through Mizzou and a foundation called Won By One to Jamaica. The experience was life changing and I really got to learn a lot about myself and the Jamaican culture.

The mission trip included me and 41 other mizzou students. We traveled to an impoverished town in Jamaica called Harmons, where we stayed at a place called the Harmony House that Won By One provides for missionaries.

While we were there, we opened up a shop that donated clothes to the Jamaicans in need. The clothes that were donated were brought by us from the US in huge suitcases. Each student brought 100 lbs of clothing on the trip. We also built two houses in the week that we were in Harmons. Each house was being donated to a Harmons native who was picked by Won By One to be the recepient. While building the houses, we had the chance to work one-on-one with Jamaicans who were teaching us what to do. I also had the opportunity to go to the only school in Harmons and teach a fourth grade class. The school included grades K-12 and was very under staffed so they needed all the help they could get. I loved learning from the Jamaican kids including how to say things in Patois, a Jamaican language.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience that I will never forget. I met people that touched my life and will do so for forever. I learned the true meaning of Won By One's mission statement, 'Changing Lives By Changing Lives.'"

Way to be a DG Hannah and not only Do Good here in Columbia as a member of Mu Chapter, but also across the world!

No comments: