Monday, July 5, 2010

In a New York state of mind.

It is a summer in the city for several members of Mu Chapter. Through various programs these girls are living and interning in New York City. Though they don't all live together, weekend outings and after work happy hours have helped these members bring a little bit of their Mizzou and DG life with them to the Big Apple. Read below to check out where they are working (and who to network with to get a job next year) as well as hear about their experience so far "in their own words!"








Amanda Klohmann
(Pledge Class 2007/Chapter President)
Intern at Sports Illustrated Kids

"I love working at SI Kids. I commute from my apartment at Columbia University to Rockefeller Center each morning and feel like a true New Yorker. Working with SI Kids has been great because it is a fun environment and part of Time Inc. which has 115 magazines (perfect for post-graduation job hunt connections). So far I do a lot of archiving, mail, and fact-checking work but I have been able to do some great interviews and write blog posts. I have interviewed John Wall, the NBA's first round draft pick, World Cup organizers, and one of the best goalies in the NHL, Martin Brodeur! I am excited to see my work in print next month. For a sports nerd, this is a dream come true!"

Morgan Mitchell
(Pledge Class 2007)
Intern at space150

"I am working at space150 (http://space150.com/) in the New York (Brooklyn) office. This advertising agency focuses on digital work and keeps me very busy. A few of our big clients are American Express and Forever 21. I am helping on the account side for the American Express mobile team. (Basically helping out where i can with the different smart-phone apps and mobile websites my company creates for American Express) SO COOL! I am learning a lot and loving my work. I am also doing the Mizzou Journalism NYC Program too where I am taking classes and receiving credit. I am really enjoying life in the concrete jungle and would recommend doing a summer internship here to anyone. "




Paige Codilis
(Pledge Class 2009)
Intern with designer Wes Gordon

"I work 5 days a week doing all kinds of things. I pretty much run around the city all day! I organize and get clothes ready for photo shoots and magazines. I am helping Wes launch his fall line that will be in major department stores all around the world. I also am helping him create his spring line by picking out colors and patterns. I design trend boards and fabric boards."










Alli Bailes
(Pledge Class 2006/recent alum)
Intern at AOL

"I'm interning on the global brand marketing team at AOL. We are responsible for coordinating marketing efforts for the company as a whole, both in the US and globally. Since AOL is currently in the process of rebranding their company as more than the dial-up Internet of the past, I'm working with the team that is coordinating this rebranding effort. I work on planning events and initiatives to promote AOL and all of their content platforms. Other than work, New York has been amazing and is defintely a city that everyone should experience at least once in their lives."






Lorrin Lynn
(Pledge Class 2006/recent alum)
Intern with KPMG LLP

"I am working in the Audit Metro practice of the firm, which means I am auditing non-financial service clients such as construction, manufacturing, health care, retail, food and consumer products, etc. At my internship, I am treated as a first year associate staff so I am getting to participate in actual audits and getting to performing testwork for the audits. I am living in SoHo, which has lots of shopping, restuarants, and bars. I am enjoying every minute in the city so far and hopefully will receive a full-time offer at the end of my internship and return to NYC and KPMG after graduation."

No comments: