Thursday, September 2, 2010

DG Do Gooder - August


Name: Jessica Hughes

Pledge Class: 2007

Why she was chosen: Pledge class 07' member Jessica Hughes spent the summer in Gaborone, Botswana. Not only did she explore the African culture, but she also spent time working in a village - for this, Jessica is Mu Chapter's August Do Gooder. Congrats Jess! Read below to learn about her summer adventure and check out some amazing photos...

In her own words: "I participated in a public health exchange program in Gaborone, Botswana, near South Africa. I enjoyed the culture by living with a Batswana family and spending part of my time in the village of Mochudi. I took a public health class and a class on the culture and language in Botswana, which is called Setswana. Three days a week I had an internship in a public clinic. At the clinic I observed the general doctor and helped with wound wrapping and packaging pills for the pharmacy. However, I spent the majority my time observing in the HIV/ AIDS clinic. There I would see patients with the doctor and help where I could with consultations. I also spent some of my free time volunteering at a soup kitchen for orphans in a poor area of the city. I was lucky enough to attend the US vs. Ghana world cup game and to go on a safari in the Chobe national park.

It was an amazing experience, and I wish I could have stayed longer. One thing that I found to be very interesting is to see what it felt like to be in the minority. I learned that although many people think of Botswana and the United States as being very different places, the people are really not that different. It made me appreciate the differences I did see, but also to realize that we have many similarities. I realized that it is important to make the goals of our country goals that can really improve the quality of life in other parts of the world too."

No comments: